Hungary is now a totalitarian state largely run by neo-Nazis.
Rromani & Jews have been screaming their lungs out over the last two years.
Canada & W. European countries have been repatriating Rromani refugees back to Hungary over the last several years.
They said it’s “not that bad”. They said our lives weren’t in any “real danger”.
We saw this coming.. now, it’s too late.
No one ever listens until it’s too late..
reblogging from the source on this one, also I just went hunting for articles about this and it is both scary and unsurprising:
human rights watch on the new constitution (the specific bits of it that this article points out are FUCKED UP); the wiki article on it; another overview of the constitution thing; wiki article on the fidesz party itself
i’d known a little bit about how fucked up hungary’s been getting lately but i hadn’t known it was this bad. shit. :(
So I’m a little freaked out that this has appeared on my dash, and was reblogged by non-Hungarians. I wonder what was the last straw that made this happen, since this has been an on-going affair for a few years now.
But “fucked up” sums it up pretty well.
so is no one going to talk about north korea declaring war or
I had to Google this because this is the first time I hear about it. Shit.
That link leads to a random Wikipedia page. From your random page, the goal is to try and get to Hitler’s page through only following links. Don’t cheat and click on something you think won’t get you to the page, you have to try to reach it. You win if it takes you less than six clicks.
Starting point: Democratic Party (South Korea, 2005) -> Liberalism -> Allies of WWII -> Adolf Hitler
Milla Rally, Budapest, 23 October 2012 on Flickr.
Milla (One Million for the Freedom of Press in Hungary) is a growing social justice movement in Hungary that has organised a number of protests in opposition to the current Hungarian government, headed by Viktor Orban and his rightwing party, Fidesz. More on them here
A protester at a gay rights rally in Kiev holds up a sign reading “Love Against Homophobia”.
Below, a woman sprays tear gas in an attempt to break the rally up.
Photos from Reuters.
This is all you need to know about Mitt Romney.
My jaw dropped so violently when he said this that it popped.
A week from the 2012 Republican National Convention, Republican committee members spent Tuesday articulating and affirming the principles they stand for in a draft of the official party platform.
Here are some highlights:
- NO ABORTION IN CASES OF RAPE OR INCEST. The proposal for a “human life amendment” passed without a hitch — and without any exceptions for rape or incest. The committee didn’t stop there; they also adopted language that would ban drugs that end pregnancy after conception, which could potentially include Plan B, the “morning after pill.”
- SALUTE TO MANDATORY ULTRASOUNDS. The GOP officially praises states’ “informed consent” laws that force women to undergo unnecessary procedures, require waiting periods and endure other measures meant to discourage them from getting an abortion. One such law receiving a “salute” was crafted by committee head McDonnell, who passed a notorious mandatory ultrasound requirement after he signed an unsuccessful bill to require an even more invasive transvaginal probe ultrasound during an abortion consultation.
- NO LEGAL RECOGNITION OF SAME-SEX COUPLES. The committee embraced extreme anti-gay language, even rejecting a proposal to endorse civil unions for gay couples after vehement objections from Tony Perkins of the Family Research Council and Romney adviser Jim Bopp, who called it a “counterfeit marriage.” The rejection of civil unions, along with the refusal to include a line affirming the legal equality of same-sex couplesprompted the organization GOProud to declare, “Those who have engaged in this public platform fight have provided distraction from important issues and damaged Mitt Romney’s campaign.”
- REPLICATE ARIZONA-STYLE IMMIGRATION LAWS. Kris Kobach, who wrote the now mostly invalidated immigration laws in Arizona and Alabama, pushed for language calling for a border fence, a national E-Verify system to make it harder for undocumented workers to find employment, the end of in-state tuition for illegal immigrants and an end to sanctuary cities. The committee overwhelmingly approved the proposals, as well as a line chastising the Department of Justice to halt the lawsuits against draconian immigration laws in Arizona, Alabama, South Carolina and Utah: “State efforts to reduce illegal immigration must be encouraged, not attacked.”
- AUDIT THE FED. The pet project of Rep. Ron Paul (R-TX) to audit the Federal Reserve has now been embraced as an official Republican goal. For the first time, the platform calls for an annual audit of the Federal Reserve.
- NO WOMEN IN COMBAT. The platform condemns “social experimentation” in the military, which covers everything from the repeal of “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” to allowing officers to wear their uniforms in gay pride events to letting women serve on the front lines.
- NO STATEHOOD, MORE GUNS FOR WASHINGTON DC. FRC’s Perkins, who recently blamed President Obama and the Southern Poverty Law Center for the shooting at FRC’s Washington headquarters, requested and received a section specifically urging the DC Council to expand gun rights. The same section also opposes DC statehood, which would allow the District to govern itself and put an end to Congressional attempts to impose abortion bans on DC.
- NO NEW TAXES, EXCEPT FOR WAR. The platform calls for a Constitutional amendment requiring a super-majority to approve any tax increase, “with exceptions for only war and national emergencies.” It would also deliberately hobble future Congresses through a cap limiting all government spending to historical average percentage of GDP — “so that future Congresses cannot balance the budget by raising taxes.”
[Image: Two men kiss, holding signs reading “We Support Belgrade Pride. You might ban us, but we’re NOT going anywhere.”]
Protesters oppose the cancellation of a gay pride march at the Serbian embassy in Budapest, Hungary.
When a friend and I were couchsurfing in Belgrade, our host thought for some reason that we were romantically involved — which we weren’t — and he told us to be careful and not kiss in public, because right-wing homophobia is very strong.
It’s really sad that this is the state of LGBT rights — in Belgrade, Pride is banned, and in Hungary, though it hasn’t been banned (yet), it can’t happen without a strong police presence. In Russia, the story is even worse (photos 18–20)… (Trigger warning for violence.)
Are we to develop an education system in this country that is inclusive, or selective? In other words, are Roma children to be educated separately, or in the same classes and schools as non-Roma children?.. (Read more)
“Tolerance? Every day, the Roma are victims of racism. This is not a solution, so think about it and end racism.”
The majority of Czech citizens prefers to ignore the Roma, some would even prefer the Roma dissapear. Juul Hondius decided to fight this ignorance by making Roma visible on the streets of Prague.
He made a selection from the many portraits and added thought-provoking texts to them.
These posterdesigns where blown up to very large seizes; from 1.5m.x 2m. up to 4 x 5 meter
Now, more than two years later, the photograhps are finally covering the walls in the city of Prague.
As a follow-up project of the campaign, the posters will be photographed again being they are taken down, in order to document any positive and/or negative responses to this media-campaign. In this way, the feed-back of the Prague population can be documented. Here can you see the results:
They need 1 million people to sign this.
PLEASE, REBLOG THIS AND GET THE WORD OUT TO EVERYONE!